Following on the relative obscurity of Rogue Pirate Ninja Interactive’s first game, iRis AG, RPNi has officially released our second game for iPhone, iTouch, and iPad, “Tower Assault! Curse of Zombie Island”.
For RPNi’s first game, we created a game that was basically an inversion of Tetris’s gameplay. For TA!CZI, we created a game that is an inversion of the ubiquitous Tower Defense game. Instead of organizing and managing an ever-growing armada of towers to defend against a variety of enemies following a beaten track, in TA:CZI you organize and manage a horde of zombies to attack villages, topple fortresses, and navigate puzzles. Zombies being zombies, they’ll just wander around aimlessly without your direction. As a successful pirate captain bent on recovering your treasure and raising the curse on your zombified crew, you fire brains from a cannon at the area you want your zombies to attack (or move to).
The game features several hours worth of gameplay, with each battle being under three minutes in length. There are also a variety of level designs, including puzzles, boss levels, and bonus levels available for play. We’ll also be releasing an HD version for iPad and iPhone 4 as soon as it gets cleared by Apple.
From our website and press release:
After a long season of pirating the tropical seas of the Caribbean you are forced to stop for supplies before the voyage home. Through your telescope you spot an uncharted island and set sail for the local dock. After foraging for supplies you return to your ship to find the unspeakable… DISASTER! Your loot has been stolen and your trustworthy crew has been turned into blood-thirsty zombies! An evil cackle is heard upon the wind… turning to face it, you see an Evil Witch Doctor fleeing into the dense jungle! Meanwhile, your crew are voicing their only concern: BRAINS! A cunning plan formulates in your mind as you stroke your beard, the metallic glint of a cannon catches your eye. Using advanced pirate logic you reach an explosive conclusion: CANNON + BRAINS = ZOMBIE CONTROLLING POWER! So, strap on your pirate boots, grab a sack of brains, and command your horde of zombie minions through this reverse TD adventure game to recover the stolen loot, plunder the local villages, defeat the Evil Witch Doctor, free your crew, and uncover the secrets of Zombie Island. Let the domination begin!
- SHOOT BRAINS FROM A CANNON! A cunning pirate uses everything at his disposal. Command your zombie horde to victory using brains and gunpowder – a destructive, and messy, combination!
- REVERSE TD ACTION NEVER SEEN BEFORE! Over forty levels that require skill and an understanding of the strange environment you now occupy. Enslave the native islanders to your army of brain-hungry zombies as you battle through traps, ambushes, and take down the natives’ towers and soldiers.
- MANY ADDICTIVE CHALLENGES AWAIT! Never a dull moment in the life of a pirate – play the many different bite-sized challenges: Run the Gauntlet, Capture the Treasure, Invade the Village, Destroy the Towers and even the opportunity to win the allegiance of Good Witch Doctors!
- UNLEASH THE POWER OF THE AMULETS! Find and use the power of several mysterious amulets, each granting special abilities upon your zombie horde. Vodoo magic has never been so delightfully useful!
- UNCOVER MYSTERIOUS SECRETS! Discover the secret spoils of Zombie Island, hidden deep beneath the depths of the jungle canopy! Do you have what it takes to command your zombie horde to tales untold?
- EXPERIENCE HIGH-QUALITY POLISH AND A CAPTIVATING SOUNDTRACK! This game is developed to a high standard: we know you’ll enjoy our attention to detail and a soundtrack that you just won’t be able to stop humming!
Here’s one of the big puzzle levels.
Here’s one of the tower assault levels.
Here’s one of the three overworld maps.
In terms of the technical side of things, TA!CZI uses a custom-built engine, geWiz ES B3 “Bruno” (modified from iRis’s engine). with over 84 thousand lines of code, the engine is a technical feat of engineering in and of itself, considering that Jonathan (our producer/programmer/company fonder) basically did everything himself in a relatively short amount of time. Now, why am i pimping this game? Easy. I wrote the entire soundtrack for the game, and did all the voice and sound effects as well. This is my second shipped product, and I feel very comfortable with the overall quality of it. Some of the voice effects are actually kind of funny =) When Jonathan initially started talking about this concept with me, we decided to go with a caribbean theme for the audio, focusing on using instruments native to the area for the overworld themes. The ‘battle’ themes feature more modern instrumentation, and are rearrangements of the overworld theme in that area.
The OST is freely available from the website, at this link, as well as some wallpapers made by our artist. I’d also encourage you to look at the website itself, as johannes has done a lot of work on it. He often posts dev blogs, random musings, and other stuff that’s always worth a read.
Rogue Pirate Ninja Interactive official website – Info about the devs, game, and other random topics. There’s also a support and conversation forum.
RPNi’s Twitter account – Jonathan in particular is very active on this.
RPNi’s YouTube account – We’ll post gameplay videos and teasers for our next project here.